Extended Detection and Response (XDR) is the collection of tools that serve to monitor, detect and investigate any suspicious activity across email, endpoints, servers, cloud workloads, and network. XDR is considered a successor to EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response) products because EDR were limited to endpoints only. Another key difference is that XDR applies AI-driven analytics to drive better, faster detection and response to cyberattacks.
How XDR Works
Broader IT landscape visibility is essential for XDR to be an effective security implementation. XDR products monitor all activity and collect data for analysis to identify anomalies in activity to quickly detect any potential advanced threat. This data is stored and analyzed overtime to identify vulnerabilities and increase security. Every XDR product may work a little differently, but all are comprised of these components:
- Data Collection – Monitoring software programmed to collect data on all activity provides the XDR system with the information it needs to detect suspicious behavior in the environment.
- Automation – Using AI-driven rules, XDR systems can automatically detect security incidents and, if necessary, take actions like denying user access after suspicious activity.
- Analytics and Forensics – The data collected by XDR products provides real-time and historical data that are both used to minimize risk. Real-time analysis helps monitor, identify, and prevent threats as they happen. The analysis of historical data provides folks in security operations with the means to revise and adapt their security controls to stay ahead of the constantly evolving cyber threats we face today.
Extended Detection and Response
XDR enables more insightful investigations because you are able to make logical connections from the data provided within a consolidated view.
Endpoint Detection and Response
Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) is the collection of tools that serve to monitor, detect and investigate any suspicious activity on endpoint devices. Constant monitoring and analyzing of network activity provide security teams with the means to stay ahead of any potential threat.
XDR is designed to perform an ongoing, adaptive monitoring and analysis of activity across email, endpoints, servers, cloud workloads, and network, which increases security by quickly detecting and preventing advanced threats. XDR monitors various activity and combines it with threat intelligence, analytics and AI to provide better context including:
- connections an endpoint or a server has throughout the network
- users that have logged on
- files accessed in different cloud services
- apps used
- and advanced email attacks
Many XDR products also offer automated investigation and response (AIR) capabilities to manage suspicious activity ensuring that any advanced threats are identified and mitigated immediately. XDR uses a wide range of information collected from endpoint devices to detect vulnerabilities and can take specified actions in response to advanced threats.
Benefits of XDR
End-to-end security is more important than ever in today’s business environment. The number of unmanaged endpoint devices that are users are bringing into the environment and all the cloud services that they are accessing today is constantly growing. New devices enter the market and workplace all the time, each one representing a potential security vulnerability.
XDR offers advanced protection against a number of different threats. It is capable of correlating, detecting, and stopping multiple advanced threats that may be occurring simultaneously. With the amount of network traffic at any given time for a modern business environment, you need an XDR in place to monitor the large volume of cybersecurity activity.
An immediate response to any suspicious activity is critical for preventing attacks and maintaining a secure environment. Cyberattacks come in many forms and the best way to defend against advanced threats is to have advanced monitoring in place with full network visibility. XDR can help your security team to respond faster and more effectively.